Monday

11.2.09: Sausage Gravy & Biscuit Secrets Revealed

I try not to reinvent the wheel when it comes to cooking. God knows my heart is in it, but what I feel there and in my head rarely translate to what I WANT it to taste like. That’s why I’m so elated (yes, I really am) to share my favorite treat for a weekend morning - Spicy Sausage Gravy & Biscuits. 

Ok, I said I don’t try to reinvent the wheel, so brace yourselves...there is nothing “made from scratch” in this recipe. I wouldn’t even begin to be able to tell you how those words strike fear in me. What I can tell you is that I have never made this recipe and NOT received a compliment or 20. Not boasting, just sayin’. The most important thing to remember about this recipe? There are NO SUBSTITUTIONS...none you hear me, none.

1 - 16 oz. “tube” of Jimmy Dean Regular sausage 
1 - 16 oz. “tube” of Jimmy Dean Hot sausage 
2 packages of McCormick’s Sausage Flavor Country Gravy Mix
Pillsbury Gand’s Style Homestyle Buttermilk biscuits

Bake ya biscuits according to the package directions. I like this style biscuit because it’s a bit more of a “hearty” biscuit...does that even make sense..it can take this gravy. In the background you'll see one of the stone bakeware pans...which I love now thanks to LR.





Ok, do you NEED 2 lbs of sausage for this recipe? No. If you want, just brown 1/2 regular and 1/2 hot but the key here is to use 1/2 a tube of each flavor and brown them together. The regular flavor will tone down the hot, but make no mistake this gravy will have a great little kick to it!    ***If you brown all 2 lbs of sausage, spoon about 1/2 the mixture in the gravy. You could then take the rest and use it in a stuffed mushroom recipe...YUM!!!





Empty both gravy mixes into a heavy sauce pan. Instead of adding 4 cups of cold water (total per the directions of both packages), add 2 cups of water and 2 cups of milk. The mixture helps make the gravy nice and thick. I use skim milk and think it tastes just fine. Watch the pot and follow the instructions on the back of the package. I'm sad that I could not make this gravy photo look any better.





Much to the chagrin of cardiologists around the world I’m going to recommend you spoon the greasy sausage into the gravy once it has thickened.
Enjoy. That simple. That delicious. 





If at this point if you're thinking you may need to add salt and pepper, then you've done something terribly, terribly wrong while following this recpie. The gravy mix and sausage are simply ALIVE with flavor....ALIVE, you hear me? :) Ok, this was actually just a simple ploy to work in my new "favorite thing" that I treated myself to during my birthday extravaganza at Disney. Aren't they cute???? Can you see me in the reflection? :)










No comments:

Post a Comment