Thursday

08.16.12 - Remember Me...


I had a sweet few moments with God this morning and wanted to share because it encouraged me. 

It started with a quote from Kelly Minter in her Bible study book, Nehemiah. She states that the gift of remembering the things that God has done in your life - the ways in which He has been faithful - is like compounding interest for your faith. My faith is increased in the times I remember  what He has done for me. I intentionally took the time to do just that. 

The remembrance that Kelly speaks of comes at a sweet point in Jewish history - they have returned to their city, rebuilt the walls & gates back up, identified it’s true citizens, and have started celebrating their festivals again. In this moment they are renewing their covenant and speaking back to God (remembering) the ways in which He has been faithful since the time of Abraham. It has been sweet to “walk with them” through this process, and to participate in a practical exercise which reminds me of who God is. What I came to see was that their examples concurrently define some of the characteristics of God! I believe that God does not change. If He was this God 2000+ years ago, He's the same God in 2012. I know there are many times in my life when I have tried to change His character and put Him in a box that I clearly define...but that doesn't mean His character has changed...it means I still have much to learn. :) 

Nehemiah 9: 9 -15

You saw the affliction of our fathers in Egypt
  • You see everything thing that happens.

And heard their cry by the Red Sea.
  • You hear me always. 

You showed signs and wonders against Pharaoh, Against all his servants, And against all the people of his land. For You knew that they acted proudly against them. So You made a name for Yourself, as it is this day.
  • You show me who you are in power and might & gave me chance after chance. You know my heart.  

And You divided the sea before them, So that they went through the midst of the sea on the dry land
  • You make the way and You protect me. 

And their persecutors You threw into the deep, As a stone into the mighty waters.
  • You are my defender. 

Moreover You led them by day with a cloudy pillar, And by night with a pillar of fire, To give them light on the road Which they should travel.
  • You lead me in right paths and You will be with me always. 

You came down also on Mount Sinai, And spoke with them from heaven
  • You still speak today.

And gave them just ordinances and true laws, Good statutes and commandments. You made known to them Your holy Sabbath, And commanded them precepts, statutes and laws, By the hand of Moses Your servant.
  • You have covered me under a New Covenant through Jesus Christ, but at no point in time have you not made Yourself known in every way possible.

You gave them bread from heaven for their hunger, And brought them water out of the rock for their thirst
  • You are my provider. 

And told them to go in to possess the land Which You had sworn to give them.
  • You have given me authority to live out my life moving from glory to glory. You have made your river of grace deep and wide. Your peace can not be matched and Your love can not be fathomed. I have an inheritance in You, not in this world. 

I think I needed to hear this and to be reminded because in the last few weeks I have seen and heard many things which could cause me to question Him and my faith. Even when I waiver, God does not. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow...and in that I can find peace and rest to spite my circumstances. In that I can find a great love which accepts me just the way I am in this moment, but will never be satisfied with leaving me that way. He calls me to live the 2 Chronicles 3:18 promise out in His strength and power: But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord. 

Keep Your Peace & Don't Forget To Be Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment